Ingredient Of The Month

Great for meats and soups, buy a bottle for your kitchen: Sea salt

Monday, August 24, 2009

The Art of Ninja Cooking


I love my wife and I'm pretty sure she loves me too. She can, however, be a bit picky when it comes to food. She likes the traditional recipes of her past, I like exciting new ways to dress up an old dish. (I.E. put a little fresh basil and sun dried tomato on cheese quesadilla). In our four years of marriage, I have learned how to get her to try some of my foods. Maybe this is a good time for my sweet wife to stop reading. The secret is . . . deception. Yes, deception is the trick. You know how you hide peas in your child's food to get them to like it? I do the same with my wife but I hide things like artichoke hearts, nuts, large quantities of diced onion, and others. Ask for forgiveness, don't ask for permission. Here a few tips if you employ this drastic measure:

1. Keep mystery ingredients out of sight until ready to put them in the pot. A ninja chef is always invisible.
2. Some ingredients are difficult to hide, think twice before chopping up boar head while your significant other is in the other room.
3. If your cover is blown, always say you will chop it up small (even if you won't).
4. If your sweetie objects before trying it, make sure you didn't ruin dinner completely or you will be watched next time.
5. If all else fails, ninja smoke balls will get you out of danger in a flash. (Turn off the oven first).

To my wife's credit, she happily tries many of the things I make without complaint. She often likes them, but she is also honest enough to tell me something is not good. I appreciate honesty because I don't want to cook bad food. She also put up with me during my "Dill Phase." She is also not as picky as this blog may present, but she is a fan of traditional recipes.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You crack me up! I'm excited to see what you put on here. I have also learned the art of deception with Aaron. You're welcome to experiment on us very soon!

The Northwest Southern Girl said...

I love your ideas! I'll have to try some of those with my kids.