Ingredient Of The Month

Great for meats and soups, buy a bottle for your kitchen: Sea salt

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Food Haters Unite



There are many constant truths that will never fail us.  Babies will cry in restaurants, my cars will always make questionable sounds, and machine guns in action movies always jam at inopportune moments.  Among these truths is the simple fact that no person wants to be a picky eater.  Not liking certain foods can often be a big hassle.  Take for example President George Bush Sr. when he stated:



"I do not like broccoli and I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli. Now look, this is the last statement I’m going to have on broccoli. There are truckloads of broccoli at this very minute descending on Washington. My family is divided. For the broccoli vote out there: Barbara loves broccoli. She has tried to make me eat it. She eats it all the time herself. So she can go out and meet the caravan of broccoli that’s coming in."

It can also be socially awkward when eating as a guest in someone else's home.  This post is dedicated to rehabilitating yourself and expanding your diet.  This may be useful for those that find themselves living with a Ninja Chef.


Tip #1:  Cook, cook, cook.

I think that much of what prevents us from eating food is the mystery of what food is made of and where it came from.  Actually putting food items into your own pot will usually help somebody overcome the fear that comes with mystery food.  My whole life I had been told that brussels sprouts are gross and disgusting.  I don't think my mom ever served them in our home.  Earlier this year I decided to see what all the criticism is about.  I was surprised to find that I actually like them.  I don't think I would have been so willing if I saw them on the menu at a restaurant.  *Note: Brussels sprouts get a stinky-sulfur smell when they are overcooked.  I sauteed mine with butter and water, delicious.

Tip #2:  Take advantage of your hunger

I often find myself more willing to eat new foods when I'm really hungry.  The fact that hunger dispels anxiety over food has led cultures to eat interesting foods like the McRib,  and subsequently it provided Andrew Zimmern with a career to die for.  Don't those grubs look tasty?

Many of the foods that I didn't like as a kid have made their way into my diet when I was on a religious mission for my church.  I spent two years in Haiti learning the principle that I will eat most anything if I'm hungry enough.  Onions, mushrooms, cabbage, and grits fall into the category of foods I learned to like while hungry. 

Tip #3: Experiment While Traveling



There is something about being on vacation that allows people to eat foods they normally wouldn't.  I began enjoying seafood while visiting Seattle a few years back.  I think that people feel like they need to get their money's worth by really experiencing the location they are in.  Next time you find yourself looking at a menu in some strange location, try something new.  Unfortunately, it does not always work.  I recently enjoyed watching my brother Kelly throw down a halibut sandwich while visiting the Oregon coast.  Even though he despises sea food , this was his attempt at giving something new a try.  He never did finish the sandwich and he fought hard to keep it all down.  Good try Kelly. *NOTE: Kelly did actually finish the sandwich and I didn't pay attention.* My father follows the strict rule of eating local cuisine in any place he travels.  A wise practice.


Tip #4:  Start With Vegetables

Trying new foods is like exercise.  You have to practice to be able to do it well.  I have found vegetables to be the easiest foods to like.  If you aren't quite ready to eat a muscle or prawn, try some eggplant Parmesan or grilled asparagus.  The thought of eating a weird  vegetable doesn't seem as bad as jumping right in with sauteed sheep testicles.  So when trying out tips 1-3, try vegetables first.  The next time you find yourself cruising the produce section, try to find a vegetable that you are not accustomed to.  You may discover chayote squash or asparagus.  I have found that radishes make a good midday snack.  I can eat about 10 at lunch if I'm not paying attention.  My next adventure will likely involve fennel. 


My final thought:

I will say it again, not all foods are created equal.  There is a lot of food that I will not eat.  I don't know who first ate fish eggs, but I'm pretty sure they didn't like it at first.  It is a gross food.  Blake's maxim:  If a food is commonly enjoyed by others in your culture, you may be acting too picky.  However, never feel guilty for not liking a type of food.  To each their own.

I'm interested in hearing about recent foods you have learned to like.  How did you do it?

2 comments:

Casey Grimley said...

This past summer my wife made me try some grilled asparagus. At first I was reluctant, but they smelled pretty good, so I ate them and now we have grilled asparagus whenever we eat steak.

She also recently got a recipe for a spinach artichoke dip, which to me the name alone sounds gross. Because I really didn't have a choice in dinner that night, I had to eat it, plus I didn't want to hurt her feelings because she actually cooked, which she doesn't do often. I did eat, and I found that I really, really liked it.

One last food experience, just last week at work a lady I work with decided to treat the office to some fried green tomatoes during lunch. I hate tomatoes but love tomato bi-products. I thought I'd at least give them a try, and found them to be rather good. They don't taste anything like tomatoes.

Kind of a long post, but those are my recent food experiences.

Casey

Kelly said...

Correction: I did finish that mcnasty fish sandwich. True, I did gag the whole time but I did finish the sandwich.